site image
site image

Checklist For Survivors


This list is general, not all applies to everyone and there may be some items not on this list. It is meant to be a guideline:

☐ check with bank for safety deposit box

If there is one, check contents

☐ locate original copies of:

- the will

- birth or baptismal

- marriage certificates

- original investment certificates

- recent tax return

- Social Insurance Cards

☐ CPP: If the deceased is a CPP contributor: the following benefits can be applied for

CPP Death Benefit - one time lump sum payable to the estate

CPP Survivors Benefit - monthly benefit for surviving spouse or common-law partner.

These applications will be filled out by the Pattison Funeral Home. You will have to sign the application.

Note: Canada Pension Benefits must be applied for within one year of the date of death. Failure to apply will result in loss of benefits.

Benefits are payable from the month “following” the contributor’s death.

☐ Any questions regarding eligibility must be made to Canada Pension directly, please call 1-800-277-9914. They will ask for the social insurance # of the deceased.

Mailing address: Human Resources Development Canada

Income Security Program

PO Box 2710, Main Station

Edmonton, AB T5J 4C2

☐ Old Age Security, Seniors Benefits and Canada Pension must notified. This will be done by fax by the Pattison Funeral Home.

The estate is entitled to the “Old Age” benefit for the month in which the pensioner passes away.

Although the Pattison Funeral Home will cancel this benefit for you, if you need to contact them:

1-800-277-9914 - the following information may be required so have it ready when you call:

~ Name of deceased ~ Social Insurance Number or O.A.S. # ~ address of the deceased ~ date of death ~ If the deceased left a will then the name and address of the executor ~ who has taken financial responsibility for the funeral expenses ~ name and address of the person supplying the information.

☐ Notify Canada Customs and Revenue Canada to ensure G.S.T. credit is discontinued. This can be done by mail - include a Funeral Directors Statement of Death to:

Winnipeg Tax Centre

66 Stapon Road

Winnipeg, Manitoba R3C 3M2

☐ File a personal tax return of the deceased and obtain clearance certificates: within 6 months of the death - if the death has occurred between November 1 - December 31; or by April 30th of the following year if the death occurred between January 1 - October 31.

☐ Notify Alberta Health Care by calling 310-0000 and dialing 780-427-1432 OR 1-800-272-8864 Fax: 1-780-422-0102

Mailing address: Alberta Health Care

PO Box 1360

Edmonton, AB T5J 2N3

☐ Notify Alberta Blue Cross by calling 1-800-661-6995

Medicine Hat contact: 403-529-5553

online: https://www.ab.bluecross.ca/

☐ Cancel valid passport by mailing it to:

Passport Canada Foreign Affairs and International Trade

Gatineau, Quebec

K1A 0G3

- include a copy of the death certificate and a letter indicating the name of deceased.

The cancelled passport should be destroyed or returned to you

☐ Notify Alberta Seniors Benefits by calling: 1-877-644-9992 (check with Pattison Funeral Home as this is usually done by them. Not all funeral homes provide this service to their families).

In cases where both spouses have been receiving Alberta Seniors Benefit, and the surviving spouse is over the age of 65, he or she may qualify for funeral expenses for up to $1,200.00. Call 1-877-644-9992. Or visit: http://www.health.alberta.ca. If there is no spouse, there is no eligibility for a benefit.

☐ File claims for life insurance benefits, and make beneficiary changes on existing policies

☐ Check life insurance coverage on all unpaid loans and mortgages

☐ Obtain any unpaid wages and company benefits from the deceased’s employer

☐ Apply for any fraternal or organizational benefits

It is recommended to retain the services of a lawyer to administer estate matters and make arrangements for probate, if necessary. Gather information regarding beneficiaries, i.e., full names, current addresses and dates.

☐ Notify bank to make necessary account changes - remember to take along a Funeral Directors Statement of Death. Although it is necessary to notify the banking institution of the death, youmay want to keep the joint accounts open for a few months (especially for the CPP benefit) to ensure the cheques can be deposited manually or by automatic deposit. Note: if accounts are not joint, funds may be frozen until the estate is settle which could take months and this could be a hardship for the surviving spouse.

Credit or Loans: contact the appropriate institutions to advise them of the death and make arrangements for payment. Determine if credit cards are insured and if any “awards points” can be transferred. Some accounts may be life insured and the balance paid upon notification of the card holder or borrowers passing. Once balances have been paid - be sure to cancel any credit cards and avoid the possibility of fraud or identity theft.

☐ Arrange for name changes on titles to real estate and investments owned by the deceased.

Land Titles

J.J. Bowlen Building

First Floor

620 7th Ave SW

Calgary, AB T2P 0Y8

Phone: 1-403-297-6511

☐ Contact Canada Investment and Savings at 1-800-575-5151 to transfer ownership of Canada Savings or Premium Bonds

☐ Ensure all property taxes have been paid.

☐ Pay outstanding debts and cancel credit cards in the name of the deceased.

☐ Secure the safety of the deceased’s property and valuables

☐ Notify the insurance agent, holding the homeowner’s policy, of the death.

☐ Re-route the deceased’s mail, if the home is left vacant, by providing a Funeral Directors Statement of Death and a copy of the will to Canada Post.

☐ Cancel newspaper and magazine subscriptions, group memberships, and any yard care contracts.

☐ Notify the telephone and utility companies of the death and make appropriate directory/billing changes

☐ Transfer vehicle ownership, license plates and auto insurance to appropriate person. Cancel deceased’s driver’s licence. At your local license bureau - take a Funeral Directors Statement of Death.

☐ Return medical aids on loan. Return unused prescription drugs to local pharmacy for proper disposal. Eye glasses can be donated to the Lions Club (who have a donation bin at the Pattison Funeral Home) and will ensure the underprivileged have access to eyeglasses.

☐ Purchase and arrange for a monument to mark the grave.

☐ If you are the surviving spouse, you will need to revise your will

☐ In the case of a death of a federal government employee, contact the Superannuation Sector for survivor and death benefits (within 30 days) - 1-800-561-7930

☐ In the case of a death resulting from a motor vehicle accident, apply for the death benefit by contacting your automobile insurance agent.

☐ In the case of the death of a war veteran, apply for potential assistance from last Post Fund (1-800-465-7113). This is a resource that is income based and because of that, the Last Post Fund is in direct communication with the family and will not deal with the funeral home.

☐ Government Death Certificates

To obtain a government death certificate a family may apply at either a local license registry or ask the funeral home for assistance. Please be advised that there is a fee to obtain an official government Death Certificate. The Pattison Funeral Home will issue you 12 Funeral Directors Statements of Death for which there is no charge - even if you require more. These Statements will suffice for any business conducted in the province of Alberta.

☐ Compassionate Fare

Individual airlines vary in regards to their Compassion Fare policies. You may be offered a rebate for the person flying for compassionate reasons. Notification of the compassionate flight usually is to be done at the time of the booking and will be contingent upon the relationship of the passenger to the deceased.

If you were not aware of the compassionate fare policy at the time of the ticket being purchased, it is highly recommended by all airlines that you contact them within 30 days of the flight to explain the circumstances. There a no guarantees to a discount. The airline will want a Funeral Directors Statement of Death forwarded to them along with a copy of the ticket stub and likely other supporting documents which will be outlined by the airline.

THE ABOVE INFORMATION IS TO THE BEST OF OUR KNOWLEDGE AND WE DO EVERYTHING WE CAN TO UPDATE WHEN WE KNOW OF CHANGES. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to call us and we will advise as best we can. 403--526-2214 or email at office@pattisonfuneralhome.com.  

© 2024 Pattison Funeral Home. All Rights Reserved. Funeral Home website by CFS & TA | Terms of Use | Privacy Policy | Accessibility